What Do I Need to Know When My Child Travels as an 'Unaccompanied Minor'?

What Do I Need to Know When My Child Travels as an ‘Unaccompanied Minor’?

The child can travel abroad or within the country for example, as part of a school trip or along with an adult that does not have the legal authority to supervise them. In the event that they do have to travel, they must sign consent for travel from a child. In addition, if you’re the couple is legally divorced then you will require an authorization form for children to travel completed by their parent in order to travel with the child.

The consent is required to prevent child abductions when a parent is taking their child abroad without permission from the International Parental Child Abduction Act. In certain situations parents may be required to give the birth certificate of their child.

What exactly is an unaccompanied minor?

Unaccompanied minors are minor between 5-18 who travels on their own. Different airlines have rules that differ according to the child’s age therefore, make sure to make sure to check with the airline of your child’s first. You may also find their separate form for minors who are unaccompanied.

In addition, many airlines have fees for children who are not accompanied minor services beyond the cost of tickets. It covers check-in fees and check-out, escorting by airline staff on connecting flights, access to lounges as well as trackable wristbands for your child.

These are the most well-known carriers that are linked to their non-accompanied fee and policy:

A form of consent for travel by children gives you permission to allow your children to travel on their own or with someone else who is not legally their guardian. The form also permits the child to travel together with the parent in case you’re legally divorced or separated.

  • Name of the child
  • The date of birth/place of birth
  • Number of passport for child.
  • The dates of travel as well as the plan of travel
  • Name of adult who travels with child (who isn’t the parent or the legal guardian) (if applicable).
  • Contact numbers for emergency situations

The child’s parent, as well as the other parent, or guardian legal are required to sign the document and give your contact information. If the child plans to travel independently to another country The U.S. Customs and Border Protection suggests that both parents accept the letter of consent in writing. It should be notarized.

Child’s Name:

The date of birth for your child:

The place of birth:

Child’s Passport Number Your child’s passport number, in the event that it is applicable.

“I, “your’s name” is the legal guardian/parent of the name of your child and have an address that is current at address: street address, address, state, zip code. There aren’t any court rulings hindering me from providing the travel permission.

I am hereby granting (check the one):

My child will travel on her own

My child will journey with one of the following individuals or group:

for the location(s) to the following location(s): “places of travel” starting from the date of start’ up to the time of the end date.

If you require assistance I am available via:

  • Name:
  • Address:
  • Telephone:
  • Email Address: Your Email Address

parent or guardian Signature(s):

Parents or Guardians Name(s):


Notary Acknowledgement

What other documents do I need for an unaccompanied Minor?

Since your child will be traveling with you, they could require other documents essential during the event of an emergency. In the case, for instance, they require medical assistance:

  • Medical insurance details: Information about your medical insurance. This includes an image of your health insurance policy, your member number and group number.
  • HIPAA Form: A medical records release form in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act lets someone else have access to the medical records of your child.
  • Form for medical consent The medical consent form lets someone examine your child.

Child’s Name:

Child’s Birth Date:

I “Your Name I am parent/legal guardian for the name of your child having an address that is current: street address, city address, state zip. There is nothing in the form of court orders that prevent me from giving the medical consent.

I have hereby authorized temporary guardian’s identity as the agent of my (“Agent”)”Agent”), to accept and give consent to medical emergency and routine treatment of my child. The consent granted is for hospitalization, anesthesia surgeries, blood transfusions, as well as surgery.

My agent has access to the medical records of my child as well as treatment and the insurance information.

The authorization will be effective starting at start date and running until end date.

In the event of an emergency you can reach me by phone at

  • Name:
  • Address:
  • Call:
  • Email Address: Your Email Address

Important Medical Information for My Child: Include medical history, allergies, and prescription medications.

Parents or guardians Signature(s):

Parents or Guardians Name(s):


Notary Acknowledgement

Travel Tips for Children who are not accompanied

  • The children who fly on their own may feel scared or overwhelmed. Inform them of all the steps involved in going to the counter for tickets or passing through TSA and security checks getting on a plane, and talking to flight attendants about whether they require assistance, and what they should do with their baggage bag.
  • Provide them with clear details on flight numbers, gate for departure or airport for destination, and who’s responsible for pickup.
  • Check that along with your boarding pass for travel and documents, they’ve got a picture identification (such as a passport driver’s license or any other identification with a photo). In addition, they should have credit cards in the event an need in the event of an emergency.
  • When possible, choose non-stop flights earlier in the morning as is possible. Beware of booking your last flight for the day to avoid cancellations or delays.
  • Monitor your child’s status on flights via your mobile or other electronic device to ensure your child’s safety.

If your child is taking an International Flight

If your child will be traveling by themselves, check with the airline and find out the requirements for travel. For traveling internationally, make contact with the local embassy to ensure that they will be visiting to find out the required documentation.